This Quinoa recipe is super easy to make and very delicious in addition to being a good source of protein an fiber — my husband absolutely loves it (well…he has no choice)! It goes well as a side with grilled chicken or even as a meatless entree served with avocado!
Here is the skinny on Quinoa
- A source of fiber and protein
- A source of potassium and iron
- Gluten free
Serving Size: 1 Cup; Calories per serving: 240 Kcals
- Quinoa, 1 cup
- Water, 2 cups
- Tomatoes, 1 cup chopped
- Jalapenos, ½ cup chopped
- Corn, canned, no-sodium (drained), 1 can (approx 15 oz)
- Black Beans, canned, low-sodium (drained), 1 can (approx 15 oz) – I prefer to use dry black beans instead of using canned.
- Cumin powder, 1 tsp
- Red chili powder, 1 tsp
- Salt,1 tsp
- Lime, 1
** once i even added taco seasoning to spice it up 🙂
- Place all ingredients in a large pot.
- Cover and simmer (medium low heat) for approximately 20 minutes or until no water is left.
- Top with cilantro and squeeze some fresh lime juice.
P.S. Canned diced tomatoes and jalapenos can be used as well.
It is very important to include every food group (meats, fruits, vegetables, dairy, and grains) in our diet. Each food group provides essential nutrients that our body needs for growth and maintenance. Eliminating any specific food group, that many popular diets ask for, may lead to quick weight loss but does not lead to a positive lifestyle change for long term results in weight loss, lower cholesterol, normal blood pressure, etc.
Make healthy choices:
– Eat lean protein (chicken, turkey, fish, and beans) more than red meat such as beef
– Eat more fruits and vegetables. Choose fresh or frozen instead of fruit juice, canned or dried fruit
– Include whole grain foods such as brown rice, whole grain pasta, whole grain bread, oat meal in your diet. Read more about carbohydrates here
– Enjoy skim milk or 1% milk
– Drink more water and less sugary drinks
ENJOY in moderation!
Eggs are the best source of protein food at breakfast! As I have mentioned in one of my previous posts, it is important to have a combination of protein and carbohydrates at every meal. Click here to read the post on a balanced breakfast.
For those picky eaters, like my cousin, I put together a list of breakfast foods (other than the typical cereal) that do not contain egg.
Calories ranging from 250-330 kcals
- Breakfast wrap: 1 Whole grain tortilla with ½ cup black beans, 2 Tbsp Ragu Sauce/Salsa, and 1 Tb fat-free shredded cheese
- Grilled cheese sandwich: 2 slices of whole grain bread and 2 slices of your favorite fat-free cheese with a cup of skim milk
- Cereal in yogurt: 1 cup of cheerios with 1 fat-free Greek Yogurt (approx 5.3 oz)
- Waffle sandwich: 2 whole wheat waffles with 1 Tbsp of peanut butter and 1 tbsp of jelly. (Bonus tip: Try a chocolate chip waffle sandwich with ricotta)
- English Muffin with Ricotta Cheese: 1 Whole grain muffin with 2 Tbsp of Ricotta Cheese, 1 Tbsp of Jelly with a cup of skim milk
Quick on the Go Options:
- Breakfast bars: Nature Valley protein bars (10 g Protein) with 1 cup of skim milk
- Smoothie (made the night before): Find the recipe here!
Hummus is a very common side dish in the Middle East that is gaining popularity in the West. It is a great low calorie snack and a good vegetable source of protein.
Chickpeas, the main ingredient in hummus, are rich in fiber and protein. They also contain vitamins and minerals such as folic acid (chickpeas tend to be higher in folic acid than other beans), zinc, and magnesium.
Read complete article here.
Number of Servings- 8 Serving size – 2 tbsp
114 Kcals 16.7 g CHO 4.6g Pro 4.3 g Fat
Hummus with Pita Chips
- Chickpeas – 1 can (15 oz)
- Lemons – 6
- Tahini – 1 Tbsp
- Garlic cloves – 2
- Cold Water – 2 tbsp
- Olive oil – 1tbsp
Blend it all and refrigerate
Enjoy with pita chips or fresh veggies!
Have a balanced breakfast that consists of carbohydrates and protein!
- Carbohydrates: choose “complex” carbs that will provide soluble fiber. It will slow stomach emptying and help you feel fuller longer. Good sources are oatmeal, whole wheat bread, brown rice, apples, and kidney beans
- Protein: good lean sources of protein are chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, milk, yogurt, beans, and lentils
Breakfast ideas: less than 360 calories
1) 1 large egg cooked in minimum oil with chopped tomatoes and green peppers, 2 slices of whole wheat toast, and 1 cup of skim milk or 100% fruit juice
2) 1 large egg (cooked in minimum oil) wrapped in a 6 in. whole wheat tortilla with 2 Tbsp of salsa, 1/2 cup of skim milk with Cheerios
3) 1/2 cup of oat meal with 1 cup of skim milk and 1 medium apple
4) 2 whole grain waffles with 1 tbsp nut butter (ex. peanut butter) and 1 cup of skim milk
5) 1 hard-boiled eggs with 1 tbsp of nut butter, 1 slice of toast and 1 cup of skim milk
6) 1 slice of whole wheat toast with 1 tbsp nut butter, 1 cup of skim milk and 1 serving of fruit
This simple and easy smoothie is a great snack that will provide calcium, vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium, and some monounsaturated fats (healthy fats)!
Number of servings: 2 150 calories per serving
1 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 medium banana
1 cup of skim milk
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 tbsp of almonds
Directions: Blend together all the ingredients and enjoy. You can try it with any of your favorite fruits!
Why should I eat fish? It is a good source of lean protein and contains omega 3 fatty acids – good for the heart!
What is the recommendation? Eat 2 servings of variety of fish/week
What do you need for this recipe?
- 5 Tilapia pieces (~4 oz piece)
- 2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Tumeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 large lemon
Use the lemon juice to mix the seasonings. Use more if the lemon is not juicy enough to make a seasoning paste. Pat dry the defrosted tilapia. Rub the seasoning on the fish.
Preheat the oven to 350. Place fish on baking tray lined with aluminum foil and ligtly sprayed with oil (or it will stick to the pan)
Bake for 25-30 minutes or as needed.
Calories- approx 130 calories/fish
Protein- approx 22 g/fish
Next time I will try this recipe with other type of fish.
- Baked Tilapia (bluecoastlive.wordpress.com)