I know it’s not easy nor is it fun to count calories – you just want to enjoy the meal! USDA came out with the My Plate few years ago and I believe it is a great guide to eating healthy. It gives a quick visual of how our plate should look to be on the right track. It teaches us to enjoy a variety of foods in proper portions!
I decided to compare USDA My Plate with my plate. This is what it means to “Eat Right,Your Way, Every Day” – enjoy your cultural foods in moderation!
- Made half my plate fruits and vegetables
- 1/4 of the plate was karhai chicken (lean protein) – popular dish in South Asian culture
- 1/4 plate was nan – bread common in South Asian culture
- Dairy – I did not have it at lunch but I did at breakfast
What one change would I try to make next time?
- Make my bread whole grain
- What’s On Your Plate? How to Get Portions Right (news.health.com)