It is very important to include every food group (meats, fruits, vegetables, dairy, and grains) in our diet. Each food group provides essential nutrients that our body needs for growth and maintenance. Eliminating any specific food group, that many popular diets ask for, may lead to quick weight loss but does not lead to a positive lifestyle change for long term results in weight loss, lower cholesterol, normal blood pressure, etc.
Make healthy choices:
– Eat lean protein (chicken, turkey, fish, and beans) more than red meat such as beef
– Eat more fruits and vegetables. Choose fresh or frozen instead of fruit juice, canned or dried fruit
– Include whole grain foods such as brown rice, whole grain pasta, whole grain bread, oat meal in your diet. Read more about carbohydrates here
– Enjoy skim milk or 1% milk
– Drink more water and less sugary drinks
ENJOY in moderation!
First I would like to share some tips on healthy snacking:
2 low-fat string cheese (50 kcals each) and 1 cup of fresh fruit
¼ cup hummus and veggies (carrot/celery sticks)
Low-fat yogurt with 1 cup of fresh fruit
A small apple with 1 Tbsp of nut butter
½ cup of chickpeas mixed with 1 cup of plain non-fat yogurt
1 whole wheat bread with 1 Tbsp of nut butter
Non-fat Greek yogurt (6 oz) with 6 almonds
½ cup non-fat cottage cheese with 1 cup of fresh fruit
1 cup of kidney beans topped with chopped onions, tomatoes, cilantro, lemon juice, and salt
- Skinny Snack Attack (diningoutskinnydc.com)
Why should I eat fish? It is a good source of lean protein and contains omega 3 fatty acids – good for the heart!
What is the recommendation? Eat 2 servings of variety of fish/week
What do you need for this recipe?
- 5 Tilapia pieces (~4 oz piece)
- 2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Tumeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 large lemon
Use the lemon juice to mix the seasonings. Use more if the lemon is not juicy enough to make a seasoning paste. Pat dry the defrosted tilapia. Rub the seasoning on the fish.
Preheat the oven to 350. Place fish on baking tray lined with aluminum foil and ligtly sprayed with oil (or it will stick to the pan)
Bake for 25-30 minutes or as needed.
Calories- approx 130 calories/fish
Protein- approx 22 g/fish
Next time I will try this recipe with other type of fish.
- Baked Tilapia (bluecoastlive.wordpress.com)