I know it’s not easy nor is it fun to count calories – you just want to enjoy the meal! USDA came out with the My Plate few years ago and I believe it is a great guide to eating healthy. It gives a quick visual of how our plate should look to be on the right track. It teaches us to enjoy a variety of foods in proper portions!
I decided to compare USDA My Plate with my plate. This is what it means to “Eat Right,Your Way, Every Day” – enjoy your cultural foods in moderation!
- Made half my plate fruits and vegetables
- 1/4 of the plate was karhai chicken (lean protein) – popular dish in South Asian culture
- 1/4 plate was nan – bread common in South Asian culture
- Dairy – I did not have it at lunch but I did at breakfast
What one change would I try to make next time?
- Make my bread whole grain
Theme for National Nutrition Month 2013 is “Eat Right,Your Way, Every Day”
Chappli Kabab is one of my favorite foods but it is usually deep fried in oil. My mom slightly adjusted the recipe on the back of the Shan Chappli Kabab masala box to make it a little healthier.
Bake it don’t fry it!
Forget the egg!
Serving size: 2 kababs
Number of servings: 6
Nutrition information per serving: 319 kcals, 16 g protein, 25 g fat
- 500 grams of regular ground beef (approximately 1 lb)
- Shan Chappli Kabab Masala (1 packet =100 g)
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large jalepeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp corn oil
- In the minced meat add Shan Chappli Kabab masala, onion, jalepeno, ginger, garlic, and oil.
- With wet hands make thin flat round kababs (about 12 kababs). Place a slice of tomato on one side of the the kabab, and place on baking sheet (spray the baking sheet with oil)
- Bake in 350 degrees oven for 20 minutes or until kababs are cooked (internal temperature of 165 degrees)
Use lean ground beef (281 kcals/serving) to reduce the fat and calories. Use chicken instead of meat to cut out the calories even more.
- Kabob…Kabab…Kebab (eatlikearabbitrecipes.wordpress.com)